Simply Us Farms – Intern Opportunity – 2022
We are a husband / wife hobby farm. My background is in new product development engineer (mechanical engineering / industrial designer) who likes to farm. My wife is pursuing her degree in sustainable agriculture at CCCC.
Unpaid internship to help with a variety of tasks on the farm. If you are working towards having your own homestead this would be a great opportunity for you. You’ll be exposed to a variety of crops, fruit production and animal husbandry practices. We are a young farm (started in February of 2021) so you’ll get to grow and learn along with us.
Working hours are flexible, up to 24 hours per week.
Expected tasks are doing the stuff we normally do. Activities could include everything from
- planning new sections for planting
- maintaining existing plantings (biggest part of the tasks)
- harvesting and packaging shares
- helping plant cover crops or new crops
- repairing drip systems or anti-deer fence
- helping with chickens or waterfowl.
- moving fences to rotate paddocks for the birds
- learning to mix your own chicken / duck / geese food from locally raised grains
- medicating or treating birds as needed
- possibility of dispatching / processing chickens / ducks
- plant additional fruit bearing trees or bushes, comfrey or flowers
- planting and developing the pollinator gardens
- help maintain and repair equipment.
We have the following equipment
- 40hp tractor and implements
- BCS tiller and implements
- diesel zero turn mower
- chicken plucker
There is no requirement to use this equipment. However we should be able provide the opportunity to learn to use this equipment.
We’ll make sure you have the opportunity to bring home a portion of those crops as they come in season. We can also provide you with eggs and fruit. We can also provide you with chicks and ducklings. If we process birds for meat during your tenure, we’ll share with you as well.
We are not a commercial farm so it is truly a homestead type experience. As our farm grows we will sell some goods, but the intent is to remain a hobby farm. We are exploring the opportunity to open up part of the farm as a community garden.
We rent out a space on the farm for camping so you’ll get an idea of how we integrate having visitors on a working farm. This is our second property that we rent out for camping. The other property is on Troublesome Gap, NC. I’ve written a couple of books on camping. We are pretty passionate about camping and hiking.
More Info About the Farm and Us
Web – www.simplyusfarm.com
Troublesome Gap – http://www.montie.com/camp/
Books – http://www.montie.com/books/
Bennett, NC – Gardens and Fruit Bushes / Fruit Trees
Sanford, NC – Suburban Garden with Chickens and Waterfowl (Muscovy / Khaki Campbell / Geese)
Low Till Goal
Hugelkultur (both locations, the mount in Bennett is 85′ long and 30 ft wide!)
Agritourism (camping at Bennett Location)
Very low use of herbicides / pesticides. We try to use flowers instead to attract predatory insects
- Gold Raspberry
- Winter – Garlic, Onion, Kohlrabi, Diakon, Horseradish, Peas, Brassicas
- Summer – Winter Squash, Pumpkin, Watermelon, Cantalope
- Hay from the back field
Planned to add in 2022
- Additional Figs
- Black Walnut
- Summer squash, okra